Born in Nagoya in 1963. He graduated and obtained a master’s degree in art history at the University of Tokyo. He was a curator at Hyogo Prefectural Museum of Modern Art in Kobe, and at Museum of Contemporary Art in Tokyo. In 2005, he was awarded the Suntory Prize for Social Sciences and Humanities for his book, Caravaggio: Sacrality and Vision (The University of Nagoya Press).
Fields of Specialization
Western Art History
Japanese Modern Art History
- The Rise of Baroque Art, Yamakawa Shuppansha, Tokyo, 2003.
- Western Art History of Eating: Seen Through ‘The Last Supper’ , Kobunsha, Tokyo, 2007（Translated: Bada Books, Seoul, 2009).
- History of Art of Tattoo and Nudes: From Edo Period to Modern Ages, NHK Publishing, Tokyo, 2008.
- Art History Read by Motifs, Chikumashobo, Tokyo, 2013（Translated: Jsbookgold, Seoul, 2015; ThinKingDon, Taipei, 2015; Insight Media, Shanghai, 2016）.
- Art History of Darkness: Vein of Caravaggio, Iwanami Shoten, Tokyo, 2016 (Translated: Marco Polo Press, Taipei, 2017).