My Poet Pages | Poet Links
William Butler Yeats (1865-1939)
The Coming of Wisdom with Time
Though leaves are many, the root is one;
Through all the lying days of my youth
I swayed my leaves and flowers in the sun;
Now I may wither into the truth.
[(from The Green Helmet and Other Poems, 1910)
W. B. Yeats: The Poems rev. ed. Finneran]
Copyright (c) Anne Yeats
I've compiled the above information referring to some standard reference materials, including The Oxford Companion to Twentieth-century Poetry, Grolier Encyclopedia, etc.
- Bloom, Harold, Yeats (London: Oxford UP, 1970)
- Byrd, T. L., Jr., The Early Poetry of W. B. Yeats (1978)
- Cowell, Raymond, ed., Critics on Yeats (1979)
- Donoghue, Denis, William Butler Yeats (1971; repr. 1989)
- Ellmann, Richard, The Identity of Yeats, 2d ed. (1964; repr. 1985)
- -----, Eminent Domain (1967)
- -----, Yeats: The Man and the Masks, rev. ed. (1978)
- Engelberg, Edward, The Vast Design: Patterns in W. B. Yeats' Aesthetic, 2d exp. ed. (1988)
- Finneran, R. J., ed., Yeats: An Annual of Critical and Textual Studies, 6 vols.
- Harper, G. M., The Making of Yeats' "A Vision" 2 vols.
- Jeffares, A. Norman, A New Commentary on the Poems of W. B. Yeats (1984)
- Jordan, Carmel, A Terrible Beauty: The Easter Rebellion and Yeats's
"Great Tapestry" (1987)
- MacLiammóér, Micheáì, and Boland, Evan, W. B. Yeats (London: Thames and Hudson, 1986)
- Nathan, L. E., The Tragic Drama of William Butler Yeats (1965)
- Unterecker, John, A Reader's Guide to William Butler Yeats (1959; repr. 1971)
- Vendler, Helen, Yeats' Vision and the Later Plays (1963)
- Webster, Brenda S., Yeats: A Psychoanalytic Study (1973)
Last updated: 30 April 2004
20th-century Poetry Index Page