My Poet Pages | Poet Links
Marianne Moore (1887-1972)
I, too, dislike it.
Reading it, however, with a perfect contempt for it, one dis-
it, after all, a place for the genuine.
[(from Selected Poems, 1935)
Complete Poems, 1981]
Copyright (c) 1935, 1941, 1944, 1949, 1951, 1952, 1953, 1954 Marianne Moore
Copyright (c) 1956, 1957, 1958, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965,
1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970 Marianne Moore
Copyright (c) 1956, 1958 The Curtis Publishing Company
Copyright (c) 1963 Marianne Moore and T. S. Eliot
Copyright (c) 1969, 1972 Marianne Moore
Copyright (c) 1979, 1980, 1981, 1982, 1984, 1985, 1986, 1987
Lawrence E. Brinn and Louise Crane, Executor of the Estate of Marianne Moore
Copyright (c) 1988, 1989, 1990, 1991 Marianne Craig Moore,
Executor of the Estate of Marianne Moore
Copyright (c) 1981 Clive E. Driver, Literary Executor of the Estate
of Marianne C. Moore
I've compiled the above information referring to some standard reference materials, including The Oxford Companion to Twentieth-century Poetry, Grolier Encyclopedia, etc.
- Engel, Bernard F., Marianne Moore, rev. ed. (1988)
- Hadas, Pamela W., Marianne Moore: Poet of Affection (1977)
- Hall, Donald, Marianne Moore: The Cage and the Animal (1970)
- Kalstone, David, Becoming a Poet: Elizabeth Bishop with Marianne Moore and Robert Lowell (1990)
- Kenner, Hugh, The Pound Era (London: Faber and Faber, 1972) pp. 87-89
- Martin, Taffy, Marianne Moore: Subversive Modernist (1986)
- Moore, Marianne, Complete Poems (Penguin Books, 1981)
- Nitchie, George W., Marianne Moore: An Introduction to the Poetry (1969)
- Philips, Elizabeth, Marianne Moore (1982)
- Schulman, Grace M. Marianne Moore: The Poetry of Engagement (1987)
- Stapleton, Laurence, Marianne Moore: The Poet's Advance (1978)
- Marianne Moore Society (edinboro)
The Marianne Moore Society's homepage. Info on joining the Marianne Moore listserv, recent publications on Marianne Moore's poetry, Marianne Moore Society events.
- Two Poems (virginia)
Modern English Collection e-texts of "Picking and Choosing" and "England" as appeared in The Dial, April 1920, pp. 421-423.
Last updated: 5 December 2001
20th-century Poetry Index Page