My Poet Pages | Poet Links
Robert Frost (1874-1963)
"When I was just as far as I could walk
From here today,
There was an hour
When leaning with my head against a flower
I heard you talk.
Don't say I didn't, for I heard you say--
You spoke from that flower on the windowsill--
Do you remember what it was you said?"
"First tell me what it was you thought you heard."
"Having found the flower and driven a bee away,
I leaned my head,
And holding by the stalk,
I listened and I thought I caught the word--
What was it? Did you call me by my name?
Or did you say--
Someone said 'Come'--I heard it as I bowed."
"I may have thought as much, but not aloud."
"Well, so I came."
[(from Mountain Interval, 1916)
The Poetry of Robert Frost]
Copyright (c) 1969 Holt, Rinehart and Winston, Inc.
Copyright (c) 1967 Holt, Rinehart and Winston, Inc.
Copyright (c) 1955, 1956, 1958, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962 Robert Frost
Copyright (c) 1964, 1967, 1968, 1970, 1973, 1975 Lesley Frost Ballantine
I've compiled the above information referring to some standard reference materials, including The Oxford Companion to Twentieth-century Poetry, Grolier Encyclopedia, etc.
- Brower, Reuben A., The Poetry of Robert Frost (1963)
- Brunshaw, Stanley, Robert Frost Himself (1986)
- Clymer, W. B. S., Robert Frost: A Bibliography (1972)
- Egmond, Peter Van, The Critical Reception of Robert Frost: An Annotated Bibliography of Secondary Comment (1974)
- Frost, Robert, The Poetry of Robert Frost: The Collected Poems, Complete and Unabridged, ed. by Edward Connery Lathem (New York: Henry Holt and Company, 1969)
- -----, Selected Letters, ed. by Lawrance Thompson (1964)
- -----, Selected Prose, ed. by Lathem and Hyde Cox (New York: Holt, Rinehart and Winston, 1966)
- -----, Collected Poems, Prose, & Plays: Complete Poems 1949, In the Clearing, Uncollected Poems, Plays, Lectures, Essays, Stories, and Letters (The Library of America, 1995)
- Gerber, Philip L., Robert Frost (1966)
- -----, ed., Critical Essays on Robert Frost (1982)
- Hall, D., Robert Frost: Contours of Belief (1980)
- Katz, S.L., Elinor Frost (1988)
- Lathem, E.C., ed., Robert Frost's Poetry and Prose (1984)
- Lentricchia, Frank, and Lentricchia, Melissa Christian, Robert Frost: A Bibliography, 1913-1974 (1976)
- Marcus, Mordecai, The Poems of Robert Frost: An Explication (Boston: G.K. Hall & Co., 1991)
- Poirier, Richard, Robert Frost (1977)
- Potter, James L., Robert Frost Handbook (1980)
- Pritchard, William H., Frost: A Literary Life Reconsidered (1984)
- Thompson, Lawrance, Robert Frost, 3 vols. (1966-76)
- Thompson, L., and Winnick, R.H., Robert Frost: A Biography, ed. by E.C. Lathem
- Walsh, John Evangelist, Into My Own: The English Years of
Robert Frost, 1912-1915 (1988)
- Robert Frost: After Apple-Picking (1914) (wsu)
Brief notes on "After Apple-Picking" with the e-text. An excerpt from Reading About the World, Volume 2.
- A Frost Bouquet: Editions in English (virginia)
Exhibition page at the U of Virginia Library. Includes rare editions.
- Robert Frost (Poets' Corner)
E-text of 16 poems.
- Robert Frost in The Atlantic Monthly
E-texts of 3 poems as appeared in the August, 1915, issue of The Atlantic Monthly, and Edward Garnett's essay on Frost, "A New American Poet," which appeared in the same issue. E-text of "Reluctance," which the then editor of The Atlantic Monthly Ellery Sedgwick declined in 1912, is also included.
- The Road Not Taken: Robert Frost's Lesser Known Poems
Life sketch, e-text along with some background or additional information on the text, links.
Last updated: 30 April 2004 (all links checked)
20th-century Poetry Index Page