My Poet Pages | Poet Links
T. S. Eliot (1888-1965)
Sunday: this satisfied procession
Of definite Sunday faces;
Bonnets, silk hats, and conscious graces
In repetition that displaces
Your mental self-possession
By this unwarranted digression.
Evening, lights, and tea!
Children and cats in the alley;
Dejection unable to rally
Against this dull conspiracy.
And Life, a little bald and gray,
Languid, fastidious, and bland,
Waits, hat and gloves in hand,
Punctilious of tie and suit
(Somewhat impatient of delay)
On the doorstep of the Absolute.
[The Complete Poems and Plays of T. S. Eliot]
Copyright (c) 1969 Valerie Eliot
I've compiled the above information referring to some standard reference materials, including The Oxford Companion to Twentieth-century Poetry, Grolier Encyclopedia, etc.
- Ackroyd, Peter. T. S. Eliot: A Life (Sphere Books, 1984)
- Bergonzi, Bernard. T. S. Eliot (1972)
- Drew, Elizabeth. T. S. Eliot: The Design of His Poetry (1948)
- Eliot, T. S. The Complete Poems and Plays of T. S. Eliot (Faber, 1969)
- ---. Selected Essays, 3d ed. (1951; rpt. Faber, 1980)
- Eliot, Valerie, ed. T. S. Eliot The Waste Land: A Facsimile and Transcript of the Original Drafts Including the Annotations of Ezra Pound (1971; rpt. Faber, 1980)
- ---. The Letters of T. S. Eliot, vol. 1 1898-1922 (Harcourt Brace Jovanovich, 1988)
- Freed, Lewis. T. S. Eliot: The Critic as Philosopher (Purdue UP, 1979)
- Frye, Northrop. T. S. Eliot (1981)
- Gardner, Helen. The Art of T. S. Eliot (1949; repr. Faber, 1979)
- ---. The Composition of Four Quartets (Faber, 1978)
- Gordon, Lyndall. Eliot's Early Years (1977; repr. Oxford UP, 1988)
- ---. Eliot's New Life (Farrar Straus Giroux, 1988)
- Grant, Michael, ed. T. S. Eliot: The Critical Heritage (1982)
- Headings, P.R. T.S. Eliot, rev. ed. (1982)
- Kearns, Cleo McNelly. T. S. Eliot and Indic Traditions: A Study in Poetry and Belief (Cambridge UP, 1987)
- Kenner, Hugh. The Invisible Poet (1979)
- ---. ed. T. S. Eliot: A Collection of Critical Essays (1963)
- Matthiessen, F. O. The Achievement of T. S. Eliot, 3d ed. (1959)
- Mayer, J. T.S. Eliot's Silent Voices (1989)
- Ricks, Christopher. T.S. Eliot and Prejudice (Faber, 1988)
- Skaff, William. The Philosophy of T. S. Eliot: From Skepticism to a Surrealist Poetic 1909-1927 (U of Pennsylvania P, 1986)
- Smith, Grover, Jr. T.S. Eliot's Poetry and Plays: A Study in Sources and Meaning, 2d ed. (U of Chicago P, 1974)
- ---. The Waste Land (George Allen & Unwin, 1983)
- Spender, Stephen. Eliot (1975)
- Tate, Allen, ed. T. S. Eliot, rev. ed. (1967)
- Williamson, George. A Reader's Guide to T. S. Eliot, 2d ed. (1966; repr. 1974)
- T.S. Eliot (Poets' Corner)
E-text of 3 poems and The Waste Land.
- Exploring "The Waste Land"
The Waste Land with hyperlinked notes, definitions, translations, cross references, texts of works alluded to, commentary, and questions to the reader. Maintained by Rickard A. Parker. A huge site of over 600 pages.
- "The Possibility of a Poetic Drama" (virginia)
Modern English Collection e-text, as appeared in The Dial, November 1920, pp. 441-447.
- T. S. Eliot Discussion Forum (missouri)
To join this mailing list, send the one-line message "SUBSCRIBE TSE Yourfirstname Yourlastname" to firstname.lastname@example.org leaving the subject line blank.
Last updated: 30 April 2004 (all links checked)
20th-century Poetry Index Page