Ralph Waldo Emerson Class (1)
This is a preliminary matter designed for the course on Ralph Waldo Emerson starting in April, 1996, on the Graduate Studies of Letters and on the Faculty of Letters, Kobe U, Japan.
- Born May 25, 1803
- Died Apr. 27, 1882
- Ordained: pastor of the prestigious Second Unitarian Church in Boston (1829)
- Married: Ellen Louisa Tucker (September 1829) (Ellen d. February 1831)
- Edited: transcendentalists' periodical, the Dial, from 1842 until its collapse in 1844
- Volumes published in his lifetime: Essays (2 vols., 1841, 1844), Poems (1847), Nature: Addresses and Lectures (1849), Representative Men (1850), English Traits (1856), The Conduct of Life (1860)
- Influence on: Henry David Thoreau, Walt Whitman
- Challenged by: Nathaniel Hawthorne, Herman Melville
I've compiled the above information referring to some standard reference materials, including The Oxford Companion to American Literature, Grolier Encyclopedia, etc.
- Allen, Gay., Waldo Emerson (1981)
- Bishop, Jonathan, Emerson on the Soul (1964)
- Bloom, Harold., ed., Ralph Waldo Emerson (1985)
- Bloom, Harold., and Kane, Paul, eds., Emerson: Collected Poems and Translations (1994)
- Burkholder, R.E., and Myerson, Joel, eds., Critical Essays on Ralph Waldo Emerson (1983)
- Cabot, James Elliott, A Memoir of Ralph Waldo Emerson, 2 vols. (1887; repr. 1969)
- Cady, E.H., and Budd, L.J., eds., On Emerson (1988)
- Derleth, August, Emerson, Our Contemporary (1970)
- Ellison, J., Emerson's Romantic Style (1984)
- Emerson, Edward W., ed., The Complete Works of Ralph Waldo Emerson, 12 vols. (1903-04)
- Hodder, A.D., Emerson's Rhetoric of Revelation (1989)
- Hopkins, Vivian C., Spires of Form: A Study of Emerson's Aesthetic Theory (1951; repr. 1980)
- Matthiessen, F.O., American Renaissance (1941; repr. 1968)
- Paul, Sherman, Emerson's Angle of Vision (1952; repr. 1980)
- Poirier, Richard, The Renewal of Literature (1988)
- Porte, Joel, Emerson (1982)
- Porte, Joel, ed., Emerson: Essays and Lectures (1983)
- Richardson Jr., Robert D., Emerson: The Mind on Fire (1995)
- Robinson, David, Apostle of Culture (1982)
- Rosenwald, Lawrence, Emerson and the Art of Diary (1988)
- Staebler, Warren, Ralph Walso Emerson (1973)
- Van Leer, David, Emerson's Epistemology (1986)
- Whicher, Stephen, Freedom and Fate: An Inner Life of Ralph Waldo Emerson, 2d ed. (1953)
- Yannella, Donald, Ralph Waldo Emerson (1982).
Passages from Nature
This is a page on Eiichi Hishikawa's classes at Kobe U.
Last updated: 21 October, 1996.
Back to Class Index Page