Information to the 2nd EAJS Conference in Japan (September 24-25, 2016)
Event: The 2nd EAJS Conference in Japan
: Faculty of Letters, Kobe University, Japan (Access to Faculty of Letters, Kobe university: see here
Dates: September 24-25 (Sat-Sun), 2016
: see here
* Tha programme has some corrections and changes. See the addendum
Language: English (for submissions), English and Japanese (during the conference)
Book of abstracts
: see here
* The book has some corrections and changes. See the addendum
Project director: Prof. Bjarke Frellesvig (Oxford University), President EAJS
EAJS contact: office[at]eajs.eu (Substitute @ for at)
Pre-conference symposium: Kobe University Educational Program on Current Japan (KU-EPOCJ) Kick off Symposium
Date and time of pre-conference symposium
: September 23 (Fri), 2016: 12:30-17:30 (for more information, see here
* Online registration page is opened. See below. (05/05/2016)
* We have solved the problem with transactions having occured in the online registration page. If you could not finish a transaction for the conference registration, please register in the following-linked page once again. (07/06/2016)
* The deadline for online pre-registration is prolonged up to 15/07. (23/06/2016)
→ Now, it is open to registrations at late conference registration fee (Non-student fee: 7,000 yen; student fee: 4,000 yen) online. (06/08/2016)
* The presenteres are kindly requested to bring their own laptop if using PC in a presentation. See also the notice below. (23/06/2016)
* We added information about keynote speeches and pre-conference symposium. See below. (23/08/2016)
* The conference programme and book of abstracts are linked new. See above. (13/09/2016)
About the Conference
Since the 1970s, the European Association for Japanese Studies (EAJS
) has organised several academic conferences at various European universities every three years.
EAJS also started to organise a conference in Japan within the triennial schedule with the inaugural conference at Kyoto University in 2013.
The 2nd conference is to be held at Kobe University in Sept. 2016, with the cooperation of Kobe University as the local conference host and organizer.
In this conference, we have the privilege of welcoming Dr. Tamotsu Aoki (Director of the National Art Center, Tokyo) and Prof. Gabriele Vogt (University of Hamburg) as keynote speakers.
A reception will be held on the evening of Sept 24th.
All participants are also invited to a pre-conference symposium « Kobe University Educational Program on Current Japan (KU-EPOCJ) Kick off Symposium » on Sept. 23rd, the day before the main conference. This symposium is to be held as a kick-off event commemorating the inauguration of the « Educational Program on Current Japan » at Kobe University this year (for information about its program and venue, see here).
We are looking forward to many people taking this opportunity to attend. The conference will be supported by Japan Foundation.
Call for Papers and Panels
EAJS accepts proposals for papers and panels from doctoral students up to established scholars. Although the conference is thematically open, we especially encourage submissions with new themes and approaches.
・ Divided into several two-hour sessions, every paper presentation will usually last up to 20 minutes with about 15 minutes for Q&A; about 2 hours will be assigned to a panel.
・ The main language of academic communication is English. However, Japanese is accepted for presentations, if an English summary is provided.
Application deadline (for papers and panels): April 30, 2016 (Notification of acceptance: the end of May)
Registration for participation will be accepted online.
Conference pre-registration fee for EAJS members: 4,000 yen ← now opened only at late or on-site registration fee
Late or on-site conference registration fee for EAJS members and non-member: 7,000 yen *
* Student conference registration fee is reduced to 4,000 yen, late or on-site. If paying on-site, please inform the reception counter of your student status.
Reception fee: 6,000 yen
* In the reception party, much of seafood in the Seto Inland Sea, Sake in Nada, Kobe, and meat in Kobe will be laid on. Everyone is cordially welcomed to take part in it.
Deadline for online pre-registration:
June 30July 15 (Fri.), 2016 (in Japanese Standard Time, UTC+9:00) ← Pre-registration is closed Online registration page
← opened at late conference registration fee (Non-student fee: 7,000 yen; student fee: 4,000 yen.) now
・ All accepted presenters must be paid-up EAJS members. (To become a EAJS member, see here
・ The presenters who will use PC in a presentation are requested to bring their own laptop. (Projectors are set in each room, while PCs are NOT equipped.) Mac users are additionally requested to their own output adaptor or connector.
・ Please note that presenters and participants are responsible for making their own travel and accommodation arrangements in Kobe by themselves.*
* In recent months, it is increasingly difficult to make hotel reservations in Kobe. It is recommended that you reserve a room as soon as possible. Options include hotels in the other cities between Osaka and Kobe.
・ Conference registration fee covers only administrative costs of the conference, and not reception fee.
・ Contact Kobe University staff at eajs2016[at]lit.kobe-u.ac.jp. (Substitute @ for at)